Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Balancing writing with photography

So I've been living with no roof for closing in on two months now with the purpose of learning first hand what life is like without a home to go to at night and then writing a book about it. Then four days ago I left the place I was born and raised to see what it's like other places.

Besides this blog, absolutely no writing was ever done in the past two months. I realized this yesterday, and became a little disappointed in myself. I was hiking through the Black Hills when I realized that I'm having trouble balancing Sean the photographer with Sean the writer. I have a tiny notebook (for lack of a better term) that I carry around with me in case I need to write something. Upon realizing my dilemma, I wrote a note to myself explaining that I need to figure out a way to balance. An idea came a few hours later and I started taking even more pictures, but now they have direction. I would write the idea if it wasn't such a huge part of the book I hope to write and not give away for free.
Cornerstone Rescue Mission

So, I think I have the pictures I need for the first part of the Rapid City section of the book. After I felt good about what I had there I parked my car at a park I've become fond of and sorted through the photographs I had. As soon as I picked the ones I liked best and felt would fit what I'm trying to do with the book, I closed my photo files and my photo editor and started writing.

The book won't be what I originally had in mind, but I really like where it's going a lot better than where it came from. The focus has shifted away from me a little bit and more towards the city itself and the people who call it's streets home, as well as the efforts being made to help them.

I'm feeling a lot better about everything now that I have a clear picture in my head of what I want to accomplish and exactly what I want the book to be and how it should look. Where it used to be kind of a whatever happens, happens type of project, it has quickly become a somewhat organized project.


I went for a little side trip to Dinosaur Park here in Rapid. Just to see it. Basically, in like 1931 i think, the city made a park with cement dinosaurs (to scale) that would have lived in this area. That's what it is if you didn't know. Anyway, I went up there tonight because I thought it would be cool to get some pictures of the dinosaurs against the twilight sky. When I got up there I found something even more spectacular.

Three mule deer were up on top of the hill eating, and what's best, they didn't care in the least that I was there with them. What should have been a really quick trip up turned into something much better than I would have imagined. You see one of them was huge. We're talking Bambi's dad was on that hill with me. If you don't believe me just look at the photographic evidence. I was really awesome to stand there with them and for them to be so content with my existence. It's definitely something that doesn't happen every day. 

So with all that said. I think it's high time I find a place to sleep for the night. Thank you so much for reading and thanks to everyone who tells their friends to do the same. This would be a completely different adventure without so much support.

No comments:

Post a Comment