Monday, December 13, 2010

The Spider's Bane

A few days ago I asked people on Facebook to ask me any questions they have about my life living homeless in the major cities of the American west. I said that I would answer them in this forum. Almost immediately, I received two very good questions; one about whether or not I'm going hungry, and the other about the places I sleep. Then I was asked a question by someone who has known me longer than I've known me, and I've honestly contemplated whether or not I should answer this question (which was asked jokingly... mostly)

So here's the question: Do you have Sting with you?

I began this blog by letting everyone know that I'm a fan of the Lord of the Rings, by quoting Bilbo Baggins, but I didn't come clean about the extent of my nerdy-ness or as I say it "collector". I have three replica swords from the Lord of the Rings movies. Narsil, the sword of the Witch King, and of course Sting the sword used by Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, not at the same time of course. And so to answer the question quickly. No, I didn't bring a sword with me.

You see, to be carrying a sword around, even if it stays locked in a car is both silly and a liability. Even a small sword like Sting takes up unnecessary space. In my living situation, space is very limited. I only have things that are necessary to my life at this moment. For this reason, and that I would be completely devastated if I were to lose Sting or any of the other "collector's items" I have.

So no, I didn't bring Sting with me. But, Anna, I did bring something else with me. Something much more precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment