Monday, August 2, 2010

Sleep and Some Things Break


I've been at it for over a week now, and although I honestly have enjoyed it, I've also realized that it's incredibly difficult to get any sleep during the day.

First, I went to a really shaded, quiet part of a park and laid down in my car, and fell asleep almost instantly. For whatever reason, I woke up about two and a half hours later. I looked at a clock and realized that I hadn't slept long enough. So, like anyone else would do, I laid back down and tried to get some more sleep, but to no avail.

Next, I moved to another shaded place by a river in the park and decided to take a little nap outside on the banks of the river. It was still relatively quiet and the sound of the river seemed like it would go right a head and sing me to sleep. No, actually it wouldn't.

I decided to go under a bridge. That's the place for a homeless young man to sleep... for about an hour. I guess I'll get used to it eventually. I don't have these issues when I sleep at night, but last night I didn't quite have that option.

So that brings me up to where I am now. It's been a while since I have written anything. I guess I felt like I didn't have a lot to say yet, but now that I sit here typing I realize that I have plenty to say, but haven't taken the time to think about it.

After only a week I've broken a few of my things. The first was my phone. Yes, I have a phone. I decided that if I want to survive traveling across the country by myself with nowhere to live, I should have a cell phone. I broke the screen on it this weekend. I was a little aggravated and did something kinda stupid for just a second and now the cell phone's screen is broken. I'm glad it broke now that I still have some form of income, rather than a month from now when I'm actually going to hit the road. This is a classic example of why I'm putting myself through this transition period between having a home and being completely on my own.

So besides my cell phone I've also lost a sizable section of the butt portion of a pair of my shorts. Honestly, I'm not too concerned with this, or really surprised by it. The shorts were pretty worn out before I started this expedition. I am a little saddened by this though. See, for a little over a year my favorite thing to wear has been a white V-neck shirt and cut off shorts. Well, these were my first pair of cut offs.

Take this photograph for example, that's exactly what I'm wearing right now. In fact, those are the torn shorts.

So, there I am. That's "soon to be homeless Sean", who just happens to appear identical to "now actually is homeless Sean". Look how cute!

I have really enjoyed this last week. I have a feeling of accomplishment, if you can believe that. I'm feeling more free and a little bit invigorated.

Like always, I'm optimistic about the future, and hope that what I am doing with the next few months of my life will turn out to help someone, or at least shed some light on "what it's like to live on the other side of the coin." I put that in quotes because I was recently talking to a friend who told me that she was talking about all I'm doing right now to one of her friends and that's a portion of what her friend said about it. It's good to know that some people are excited about this, and that someone is going to read what I experience and what I have to say about it.

I'll keep writing, so please, keep reading and tell your friends to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment